Monday, June 30, 2008

City Brands Index and Nation Brands Index Reports and Data

Since the City Brands Index and Nation Brands Index websites have gone offline (during their transfer to my new research partners, GFK Roper) I've had a number of requests for reports and data from both surveys.

So I've uploaded all the most recent reports from both surveys to my website (go to http://www.earthspeak.com/a_selection_of_published_article.htm), and for the first time I've also included some summary data from both studies.

I've also added more recent articles and interviews on related subjects, plus my most recent Editorial Prefaces from the Journal of Place Branding and Public Diplomacy. All of these resources can be found on the same page of my site.

Just a word of warning about the Nation Brands Index and City Brands Index data: these rankings and scores are averages of averages of averages. They simply show a summary of what EVERY respondent from EVERY country thinks of EVERY aspect of each nation or city in the list, so please don't read too much into these very topline scores.

These are huge surveys, generating hundreds of thousands of pieces of data from many respondents in many countries, asked about many aspects of many places. So these overall rankings are interesting but absolutely not sufficient for understanding how a country or city is really perceived around the world. To do that, you have to drill much deeper into the survey data. I'm always happy to talk to governments and bona fide academics who want to work seriously with the data.

Finally, please respect authorship. I put data, articles and papers on the website because I want people to have access to them, but if you do quote from anything on my site (or anybody else's, for that matter), please respect the convention that you always cite sources, even if you are only quoting a sentence or a couple of figures.

Properly referenced citation is welcomed, but paraphrasing and plagiarism are stealing.